Some councils offer non-regulatory pre-application processes.
They encourage developers to present, discuss and refine concept plans with the council before lodging applications for building or resource consent.
The benefits of this approach include:
- the council becomes aware of the proposal early in its development
- required levels of information can be outlined by the council
- design concerns and shortfalls can be discussed before applying for consent
- developers can apply for consent with more confidence of a positive outcome
- speedier consent processing
- fewer conditions and better understanding of consent conditions that are imposed
- overall faster and cheaper consent process.