BRANZ is an independent and impartial research, testing and consulting organisation inspiring the building and construction industry to provide better buildings for New Zealanders. We achieve this by transforming insightful research into accessible actionable knowledge.
BRANZ is investing a significant allocation of the Building Research Levy in four new programmes of work and knowledge transfer initiatives. The four programmes will develop end-to-end solutions to some of the most pressing issues currently facing the industry, and help provide better buildings for New Zealanders. The four programmes are:
- Medium-density housing that meets the needs of New Zealanders
- Exceeding the minimum
- Eliminating quality issues
- Warmer, drier and healthier buildings.
This website is part of the BRANZ medium-density housing programme. This programme aims to give the industry the tools it needs to build high quality, affordable medium-density housing. This housing will meet the needs of the people who live in it and be accepted by the wider community.
The critical success criteria for this programme include:
- The building industry has the technical information to enable the design of quality, affordable and desirable medium density housing
- The building industry has the skills needed to design and build quality, affordable and desirable medium density housing
- Medium density housing buildings are maintained to sustain long term performance
- Everyone has a shared understanding of how to optimise the journey through the building and consent process for medium density housing
- There is increased acceptance of medium density housing in communities.